Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wednesday, November 12

We spent most of the day on Shamian Island . . . shopping (my least favorite thing to do) and bargaining. I may be getting the "special price just for you," but it is no Chinese price. Shane bought a U.S. coin - a trade dollar dated 1878. These trade dollars were used as currency in the 1800s. He did ask the shop girl if it were old or made just last week. She said she got it, plus some other coins, from a farmer. Hmmm. He did get the special "three-visit" price, as he's looked at this same coin three times. But still, no Chinese price.

Somewhere between the White Swan Hotel on Shamian Island and our China Hotel, I lost my camera. I think it just fell out of my pocket in the cab. I talked to our guide who has called the cab company, but Shane and I can't even agree to what color cab we were in: dark green, light green, or gold. I am not hopeful on its return. Thankfully, I have downloaded all my pictures except the ones from today. So no new pics and it's off to Camera Market tomorrow. I fear it may be by Underwear Alley.

Tonight we went on a Pearl River cruise. Our guide, Elsie, said people like Guangzhou better at night with all the lights. She said it's like a city with make-up--and it's true. You can't see all the pollution, grime, noise, traffic, trash . . . etc. The city is beautiful all lit up, and we enjoyed a buffet dinner, complete with stir fried chicken heads, pickled vegetables, pork, and steamed buns (Lia's favorite) as we cruised up and down the famed Pearl River. We did make friends with three girls on the trip who were intent on holding Lia. Lia was happy to play with them while I held her, but wanted nothing to do with them when they wanted to hold her. They followed us upstairs to the top deck of the boat and said that she was cold. Onlooking aunties were tut-tutting me as Lia only had on a shirt and pants--not bundled from head to toe in Arctic wear. Lia also had a runny nose which I wiped off with my finger--the head of the girl gang got out her Kleenex and delicately dotted Lia's nose. Ha! I gave in and went downstairs and put Lia's hoodie on her (thanks, Megan Unterberg!), and they were all smiles once again. One of the girls--all three had just graduated from the University--gave me her email address. So maybe I can teach her English and she can teach me Mandarin from afar.

A new day tomorrow. Pics are from previous days. . .

No comments: